Monday, August 05, 2013

Octagon House

Andy | Monday, August 05, 2013 | Best Blogger Tips

Designed by the Rev. W.H. Heu de Bourk as a parsonage for the Congregational church. The door of this octagonal house is not in the center of the veranda, but off to one side. Located in Bowmanville, Ontario, the Octagon was built in 1864 by the trustees of the Congregational Church as a parsonage for Reverend and Mrs .Thomas Reikie. By 1900 the congregation had declined and the house was sold to photographer, Henry Tait. Five years later Henry sold the house to his brother Archie, a well known grocer who was a Councillor for many years and then a Mayor from 1905-1906.

9 comments:

  1. I'd like to see the design of the interior. I'd also like to live in one. . .I think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, interesting house! Wonder what the rooms are like inside?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have a proud owner now, as the house looks so well maintained.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been fascinated by octagon houses. Were this one mine, I'd add some flower boxes to those oh so plain windows. I'd also paint it.
    And those drain pipes make me think of guy wires!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would have a problem arranging furniture in one of these, but they are so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Think of all the corners that bad kids could be sent to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a couple of octagon houses in Wisconsin, at least one open for tours. I'll get there someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have liked to get inside of this one but it's now a private home.

      Delete